Sunday, May 28, 2006

May 26-28: Leslie in Cologne

This was an excellent trip.

The train was clean, but I couldn't get comfortable enough for a good nap. On the way I got to see Brussels, Belgium, and Aahen, Germany. The route was scenic, but I tried to keep my eyes closed most of the way.

Johann greeted me at the Köln Hauptbahnhof (HBF), and helped me check in at the Holiday Inn Express. I know this is hard to believe, but it was the nicest hotel I've been in so far. Maybe I'm just a spoiled American, but I gotta have an ice machine. This was the first one I've seen so far! ( Johann had never seen one before.) The room was much larger than the others, and maybe it just felt more familiar.

Then, we went for a walking tour of Cologne. Although it was grey and raining, I enjoyed looking around. We had tea and coffee at a café, then saw some more of the city. Later, we had delicious pizza at a nice Italian restaurant.

We decided to see X3 at 10 pm. Yes!!! This time, in German; dubbed, with no subtitles. Luckily, I knew what was going on. It was cool, cool, cool.

The next day, Johann picked me up at the hotel for a trip to a museum for an exhibit of Salvador Dali's works. It was great; there was stuff there I'd never seen before, including some of Dali's sketches. Afterwards, I got to take some video of the Dom (pronounced "Dome"), and that night we took the U-Bahn to the center of the city for some Thai food.


The Dom.

Johann picked me up again early the next morning to take me to the train station. We had a little tea and then I was off to Paris again. I owe Johann a huge "thanks" for making the trip great; picking me up and dropping me off, taking time out of his weekend for a complete stranger. It was a fantastic experience!

Want to see? Then click here.

1 comment:

The Original Acidpixie said...

Johann, you are the master observer. Truly an "eyeking!"

As the song goes, "This little light of mine / I'm gonna let it shine...."